Black is… black ain’t…
Black is beautiful, just so we are motherfucking CLEAR. Black ain’t “less desirable than other races”,
“inherently less attractive than other races”
So… we are in the throes of yet ANOTHER online storm about black folks. Black women’s looks, black women’s bodies, black fathers and the old ass trope of omfg black folks are on the internet too!?! How about that has been dragged out and beaten again for what its worth. (A hint – Not much). I tried to be eloquent and wordsmithy, but you know what? Fuck it, I’m sick of being polite about people telling me how I should feel about how I look.
So many people have waxed eloquently on this topic that I’ll give you links and such… but for what my 0.02 is worth; I’m so fucking sick of being told that I’m not beautiful or attractive or worthy of love and affection because I’m “strong” or career focused or “the strength of the family.”. I’m really fucking sick of the idea that everyone gets a say in how I feel about myself as a black woman. I’m tired of everyone getting to hold up the brown paper bag to check my blackness, and worthiness of having a say in racial debates because I’m fair skinned and obviously “not really black.”
I’m tired of pseudo scientists speculating on the attractiveness of myself and the bounty of black women everywhere. Who the fuck decided that this guys opinion was worth anything to begin with? I don’t even know what an evolutionary psychologist is, do you? Someone explain what that means and then you’d better have a really, really good reason as to why some “evolutionary psychologist” gets a say on black bodies and beauty. I’ll be here, so when you get a clue, come holler at me. Until then, all these faux pop psychologists and arm chair thinkers can shut the fuck up about our bodies, our beauty and everything else in-between.
I leave you with some great articles and a repost of a lovely image snagged from the Angry Black Tumblr.
Angry Black Tumblr: The Article is now gone, but more thoughts
What you all have had to say
- RT @Gingerhazing: it is my way of gently guiding your hand to the unfollow button because if you want me to stop you can easily make that h… 6 hours ago
- 11 Social Media Mistakes You Don't Even Know You're Making - Salary.com salary.com/11-social-medi… via @salary 1 day ago
- Photo: w4rgoddess: And the problem with stereotypes about Strong Black Women. Or Strong Female Characters,... tmblr.co/ZIIyTy1Mn5e3n 1 day ago
- RT @saladinahmed: Old Anglo-Saxon coins stamped with imitation Arabic. britishmuseum.org/explore/highli… ht @meijerjt http://t.co/UNrap7OPNB 2 days ago
- RT @JustinHowe: @saladinahmed You ever see this about how the best Viking swords were made with tech from the Middle East? http://t.co/fHsk… 2 days ago
- RT @saladinahmed: Yup. Not only was Alexander Dumas mixed, he had jokes for the 19th century racists who insulted him. @TiffaniAlia http://… 2 days ago
- RT @saladinahmed: THE BLACK COUNT is being adapted for film! deadline.com/2014/04/cary-f…. Props to @johnlegend for investing in this. http://t.c… 2 days ago
- RT @nkjemisin: "Ask a Game Dev" on ppl who want to work in gaming: "Grades =/= knowledge." askagamedev.tumblr.com/post/928317216… 2 days ago
- RT @nkjemisin: Is the World Ready for a Video Game About Slavery? huff.to/1u0uCTu Hmm. 2 days ago
- Photo: fardmuhammad: geardrops: shadowen: cosplayingwhileblack: Character: Neil deGrasse Tyson Series:... tmblr.co/ZIIyTy1MfESwX 3 days ago
- So ...on Coming Out Day
- On "Save the Pearls"
- Signal Boost - Genreville: Authors Say Agents Try to “Straighten” Gay Characters in YA
- Pass this on....
- Because Progress Is Not A Spectator Sport
- Signal Boost: Return of the DDoS
- Savage Reality - Repost from neo_prodigy
- Dan Savage can perish in a large conflagration asap
Seek and you might find:
What I’ve said
My Friend Flickr
- 66,244 hits